Sunday, December 1, 2013

How I Use Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, and Rosemary Oil to Help With Hairloss, Dry Scalp, and Damaged Hair.

This post is about a mixture I have been using on my hair for the last few weeks. Coconut Oil, Caster Oil, and Rosemary Oil. This may seem like a random post to put on this DIY Wedding Blog. However, I have been terrified for months about having to get a wig to wear to the wedding. I am sure there are other brides and women out there that suffer from the same issue. I have a thyroid condition that makes my hair fall out to the point that every time I would wash my hair, I would clog the shower drain. Stress also does not help the situation with my hair loss. The vacuum cleaner at work and home is nothing but my hair when I run it, and every time I run my fingers through my hair, some falls out. I also suffer from either a dermatitis or psoriasis on my scalp. It is very itchy and very embarrassing. I tried several different prescription products and shampoos to help with the dry scalp, they either didn't work or were temporary fixes. This mixture is the first thing I have tried that has helped this much. I found information about these oils online while desperately searching for something to help with my hair loss.


 Coconut oil does many good things for your body. I am going to concentrate on what it does for your hair in this post. Coconut oil penetrates into the hair shaft and provides proteins and nutrients that your hair needs to grow and be healthy. This works great for dry, damaged, frizzy hair like mine. My hair has been over processed and this oil works great to combat some of the frizz. I also noticed that it is much softer and fuller since I started using it. It gives my hair that volume people with hair loss love to have. Some days, my hair looks like it didn't even start falling out. Coconut oil is half lauric acid. Which has several benefits for your hair. It is an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral agent so it is great for your scalp! This is why it works so well for getting rid of dandruff and dermatitis. It also can cure tinea, a red rash commonly called "ringworm" that is caused by a fungus. By using coconut oil, you can help moisturize your hair and scalp, kill bacteria and fungus, and help promote hair growth all at the same time.

Castor oil is a thick oil that can be messy and hard to get out if used alone, but does so much for your hair that I can not leave it out of my oil mixture. It also has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Vitamin E, protein, and minerals that your hair needs to grow and stay healthy. The castor oil is what helps with hair loss. Massaging it into the scalp for a few minutes and then letting it sit for at least one to two hours is enough to help combat hair loss. Castor oil helps improve circulation to your scalp which helps your hair grow and prevents it from falling out. If you leave the oil on overnight, it can sink into your scalp and provide Omega-6 fatty acids and help your hair grow fast. My hair has grown at least a half inch or more in the last few weeks using these oils. Like the coconut oil, it also prevents infections such as dandruff and dermatitis on your scalp. Which also increases the likelihood that your hair will grow. Castor oil also helps to moisturize your hair and helps the hair actually grow in thicker because of the extra nutrients your hair shaft receives as the oil sinks in.

Rosemary Essential Oil has been used for centuries for increasing hair growth in countries such as France and Spain. It is said to dilate the blood vessels and helps stimulate the hair follicles. Depending on where you read this has been said to be a myth. I love the smell of rosemary and will continue to use it because of this alone. Does it really help hair grow?  I am not sure, but I know something in the mixture I am going to tell you how to make IS working. Just make sure to mix the rosemary oil with another oil or product.


Now, on to the good part. How I mix my oils.

I use these three oils.

Spring Valley Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from Wal-Mart




 Heritage Store the Palma Christi Pure, Cold Pressed, Castor Oil  from Amazon




 Plant Therapy 100% Pure Essential Oil Organic Rosemary Oil from Amazon







First you have to warm the coconut oil in a cup or bucket of hot water. This turns the hardened oil into a thin liquid. I have read you are not supposed to microwave the coconut oil. It is said to ruin the healthy properties in the oil. So I melt it in hot water instead.



Ten minutes is enough of time to get enough of oil for use in your mixture.




I use two tablespoons of coconut oil and two tablespoons of  castor oil in my mixture, but you can use one and one if you wish. I put my mixture into a container with a lid because this mixture will last me several uses.




Next, I put about 5 drops of the Rosemary Essential Oil into the dish and mix it together with the spoon. The end result is a nice thin mixture of oil. If your oil is still too thick you can put it in a bucket of hot water, or microwave it if you absolutely want to. I have microwaved it for 10 seconds in the past and still got results from the oil. It is all your preference.

Your oil is ready for use. Make sure you are wearing old clothes since this oil can stain. Start by letting your hair down and brush or finger comb out any tangles in your hair. Your hair can be dry for this. Don't mind my glasses I am having problems with my eyes today! :(


 Next, dip your fingertips in the oil and starting around your hair line, massage the oil back on your entire scalp. Start with your scalp first. Do not worry about the rest of your hair at this point. Massage your scalp for several minutes. This will help stimulate the blood flow to your scalp and help it soak into your hair follicles.



Now you can finger comb oil through the rest of your hair. Starting at your scalp and working your way to your roots. I then put my hair up and leave it in for at least two hours. I try to leave it in till the next morning if I can. If you sleep with the oil in your hair, make sure you either wear a shower cap or use an old pillow. As I said before this oil will stain.


After letting your oil sit for several hours or over night, wash your hair. I have only had to wash my hair more than once one time. I put way too much oil in my hair that time and had to wash it several times. This defeated the purpose of some of the oil since it dried my hair out washing it more. Try massaging your scalp when you are washing it. You may lose more hair at first by doing this. I did the first few times. But my hair loss since then has really slowed down. It is by no means fixed, but it is improved. My scalp issues have gotten better, and I do notice a difference in the length of my hair and how soft and thick it looks. I do this at least three times a week which is every time I wash my hair. My hair never gets oily due to my dry scalp. If you wash your hair every day you do not need to do this every day. Three or four times a week should be enough to get results.

Also, this amount that I made will last me several uses. Make sure you store it out of the light so it does not spoil. The oil will also harden and thicken again like the coconut oil originally was, so either put your container with a lid on it in hot water or microwave it for several seconds to get it back to a useable liquid form. 



I just had to get this information out there to other brides that have some of the same hair problems I have. It is worth a shot to try if you are not allergic to any of these oils. It is working for me! I am really hopping to have thick long hair for our wedding next year. So I started way early. I am no expert on these oils so it would be best to look some more information up online if you have questions about the properties of the oils. This mixture is very easy to make, but if you have any questions about how I mix it feel free to ask.


Thanks for reading.






References, http://www.theparticularkitchen.com/2012/08/how-to-select-use-coconut-oil/, http://www.livestrong.com/article/75577-rosemary-oil-hair-growth/, http://health.india.com/beauty/8-amazing-haircare-benefits-of-castor-oil/, http://www.trend-statement.org/indulge-your-hair-with-coconut-oil/

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this certified posts; we love to know best idea of your success post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Management of article and all natural pix on your post really thankful. We are global manufacturer of Pure Rosemary oil, peppermint Essential oil, Dill oil, Ginger oil and Almond oil. We also deals for carrier, Pine and Spice oils at highest quality. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use coconut usually will try what u explained
    Beauty Health Tips

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use coconut usually will try what u explained. Thanks coconut oil for hair growth

    ReplyDelete