Sunday, October 20, 2013

How to Make a Grape Vine Wedding Arch Final Steps

The arch is finished!!! Sorry it took me a month to update this blog but it literally took me the entire month to finish the arch. It ended up being a lot of work for one person and I only had the weekends to finish it. Justin's back is pretty bad and he can not bend forward so this project became mine from a certain point on due to the sitting and bending involved. If you are attempting this at home, I would definitely recommend using sawhorses to raise your arch up to hip height. My back started to get sore while working on it.

Weekend after weekend I continued to wrap the vines around the arch. I will post pictures in the order they were taken to finished so you can see how we progressed. I apologize ahead of time for all of the pictures. However, I wanted to show you the progress of the arch the best way I could. I basically continued to attach vines to vines and vines to metal until the thickness was where I wanted it to be and even. Once I got to a certain point I started to cut the vines long enough to cover the sides separately and the top separately. It made more use of the vines so that I would not run out and it helped the vines stay more consistent with thickness throughout the entire arch.





































 In the end I think it turned out better than expected. It is very large at around 9 ft tall at the middle point. At least 6 in are going into the ground make sure it is stable. That is why you can see the sections at the bottom where there are not vines. The width at the top where the cascades are is around 7 ft. You can obviously make your arch the size you want it. We are going to have crystals hanging from it so we wanted it taller.

I highly recommend if you are planning to make one of these for your wedding you start way ahead of time if you only have weekends to work on it, you will save yourself a lot of stress before the wedding!

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or email me at Brittanyrio@hotmail.com.

I will continue to make more posts about our various other projects we will have.

Thanks for reading!




7 comments:

  1. Nice job...thank you for sharing! We are going to try this for our daughter's wedding which is also in August. Best wishes on your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get the metal arch:) THanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband welded it himself. http://brittanyandjustinwedding.blogspot.com/2013/09/making-our-grape-vine-wedding-arch-part.html this part and the next few writings were how he built it using steel rod bought from Tractor supply. Lowes or Home Depot may sell a steel arch that you may decorate, but for a really sturdy one it would probably cost $100's. We paid around $82 for the metal it's self.

      Delete
  3. Why do you have a dead cat chained to twigs? !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. The cat is alive, she was wanting to be pet. She was my buddy while I was making the arch. Why would you think of something so cruel?

      Delete